NCFI Polyurethanes & TerraThane Geotechnical Polyurethanes 060616
A Brief History of NCFI Polyurethanes
Mt Airy, North Carolina
A division of Barnhardt Manufacturing Company, NCFI was organized in 1964 by research chemist Dr. H. W. Bradley and Charlotte-based Barnhardt Manufacturing Company. NCFI quickly became a leader in the manufacturing of flexible polyurethane foam for the bedding and furniture industries. In 1966, they moved into their present-day 46,000 square-foot plant in Mount Airy, NC. Since then, their facility has been expanded eight times to its current 280,000 square feet. NCFI has an additional North Carolina manufacturing plant in Hickory, and two more located in Dalton, GA, and Salt Lake City, UT.
Markets supplied by NCFI Polyurethanes
- Spray Foam Insulation, Residential, Commercial and Industrial
- Spray Foam Roofing, Roof Coating Systems, and Polyurea
- Consumer Products such as Flexible Foams, Marine Floatation Foams, Specialty Molding, Packaging, Medical and Aerospace
- Geotechnical Polyurethanes, Concrete Lifting/Raising/Leveling, Void Fill, Substitute Backfill, Soil Stabilization, Pipe Line Erosion Control
Remote Stocking Warehouse Locations
- Denver, Colorado
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Grand Prairie, Texas
- Detroit, Michigan
- Orlando, Florida
- Edmonton, Alberta Canada
- Toronto, Ontario Canada
- Schenectady, New York
- Eagan, Minnesota
NCFI Polyurethanes Technical Service Center & Laboratory
Laboratory Research & Development Facility
Located In Mt. Airy, NC, NCFI has a fully staffed technical service center which houses a complete research and development and laboratory facility, customer service and order entry, technical service, equipment, parts, and repair center.
NCFI Polyurethane Tech Service Center
NCFI Polyurethanes laboratory and R&D facility incorporate a staff of chemists. These Lab and R&D technicians, with a combined 250 years of experience, work in the formulation, development, and testing of polyurethane systems.
In-house testing capabilities include, but are not limited to; ASTM test methods, D1621, D1622. D1623, D2842, D2126, C355, C518, C273, D4541. Other facility testing capabilities include a freezer for testing cold weather formulations and full-scale spray and pour line equipment setups.
Customer Service & Technical Service & Training
CSR & Tech Service Offices
NCFI Polyurethanes staffs 7 customer service representatives (CRS) and technical service representatives.
The CSR staff is responsible for chemical order entry, logistics, shipping, and warehouse stock. These shipments can range from small UPS or FedEx shipments to hot shot delivery, dedicated truckload shipment, and LTL loads. NCFI has the capability of shipping both domestically and internationally.
Technical Services & Training
NCFI’s tech service team is factory trained on Graco and PMC and other popular makes of polyurethane processing equipment, operation, and maintenance procedures. Classroom training is available, as is in-the-field on-the-job site training.
Our technicians are fully versed and experienced in the recommendation, repair, and maintenance of such components as complete trailer & truck setups, gun maintenance, complete system operation and repair, pump repair, proportioner recommendation, operation and troubleshooting, system evaluation, and repair part support.
NCFI / TerraThane Geotechnical Polyurethanes Systems and History
During the early 1990s, NCFI worked in conjunction with Uretek to develop a system called 449-91 which later became what is now known today as TerraThane 24-486. This early development of a void fill and concrete lifting foam used under Uretek’s concrete lifting patent (which has since expired), would later transform into the 25 plus TerraThane geotechnical polyurethane systems available today through NCFI.
TerraThane systems include:
- Density – 2.0 pounds per cubic foot (PCF) to 8.0 pounds per cubic foot (PCF)
- Strength Values – 33 PSI to 310 PSI
- Reactivity Values – Up to 500 seconds (Hand mix @72F)
- Wet Environment Systems – Hydrophobic or Hydro-Insensitive systems available
- Maximum Service Temperatures– 180F (82.2C) to 200F (93.3C)
- All TerraThane systems are 1 to 1 mix ratio, closed cell, excellent chemical resistance and good to excellent dimensional stability.
- TerraThane systems are available in 55-gallon drum sets and 275-gallon tote sets. Systems are filled by volume and not weight. Consult TerraThane weight chart for further set weight information.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance (SPFA)
- International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI)
- National Concrete Masonry Association (NCMA)
- US Green Building Council (USGBC)
- International Code Council (ICC)
- Insulation Contractors Association of America (ICAA)
- National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA)
- Polyurea Development Association (PDA)